Four weeks old (tomorrow)

Yes, tomorrow my little man will be four weeks old. Where has the time gone? It seems it was just yesterday I was still carrying him inside me. He's changed so much in the past four weeks. It seems a lot of the changes have happened just in the past week. I can really tell a difference in him. The baby book (What to Expect the First Year) says babies first growth spirt is at three weeks and I believe them. I don't know what he weighs (I hope to find out today) but I can tell he's not only gained weight, but he seems longer too. This picture was taken this morning - can you see he's getting a double chin? He's also getting tiny rolls on his upper thighs and around his arms.

He is still trying to learn to smile. You can see his blue eyes light up and one corner of his mouth tries so hard to turn up. It is so precious to see him respond with his attempt to smile at me or Chris when we're talking to him. He totally focuses on Chris and I's faces when we talk to him. His eyes are still dark blue. I hope they stay that color. They look just like blueberries.

Since day one, he's known Chris' voice from across the room. When Chris talks to him, he just stops and listens to Chris. Chris can calm him down so well too. It always amazes me to watch Elijah with his daddy. He will definitely be Daddy's boy. Chris is already telling him about the hunting they'll be doing later in life.

He's also doing really well with holding up his head. He'll just hold it up and look around for the longest time. Especially if you're holding him on your shoulder. He still needs to work on it while laying on his tummy, but that's Mommy's fault for not laying him on his tummy more.

He doesn't cry during diaper changes - as much. He still will on occasion, especially if he's hungry. But for the most part, he will just lay there and let you change him. He still doesn't like his clothes changed or baths. Whew! He still gets so upset... especially at bath time. I love dressing him in all the different outfits. Right now he's slowly, but surely, starting to grow into the 0-3 month outfits. The past four weeks he's only worn the "newborn" size. It's like he's got a whole new wardrobe now that he's entering the bigger sizes. However, there are still several 0-3 month things he can't wear. I guess it's the difference in brands of clothing.

He still has all of his hair. I was hoping he wouldn't loose it and thus far, it doesn't appear he's going to. He has lost all of the hair on his right ear, but the left ear still has a tuft of hair growing on it. He has two major cowlicks on his forehead. They meet in the middle of his forehead and go opposite directions. I sense some hair combing challenges may be in our future. His hair stays pretty greasy because people (me and Daddy included) can't keep our hands out of his hair. It is so soft and fluffy after it's been washed. I kinda wish it would stay that way all the time.

I think he's going to be a morning person. He's so sweet and responsive after he's been fed and changed in the mornings. He'll just 'talk' to you (grunts for now) and that's when he tries to smile the most too. I love waking up next to him too. It takes him about 15 minutes of stretching, grunting, groaning, and eye rolling before he finally is awake. If he's in bed next to me, I'll just stay there and watch him. It's the sweetest thing.

I want to remember and cherish every moment I have with him. He's the most beautiful and precious gift from God. Truly he is a miracle. I have asked myself and Chris how we could fall in love so much with such a little person in such a short amount of time. I don't have the answer yet, but I'm so glad God saw fit to give us our little man, Elijah. Chris and I pray for him every day, multiple times a day. We both want what is right and good in Elijah's life. I want to bring him up knowing about the Lord and to see him grow up and serve the Lord with all his heart. I know that is the desire of every Mother's heart.

Elijah - Mommy and Daddy love you very much. Someday, when you're older, I hope you look back and read these blogs (and the scrapbook I hope to start someday) and know that you were loved so much.
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
Isn't it just splendid being a mommy!!!!!!!! You're so funny, always giving him baths, lol! Malachi has SO MUCH hair too and it's SO adorable, especially when it's oiled and combed. Connor barely has enough hair to comb right now.... oh, but it's SO cute too :)
Anonymous said…
Has is seriously already been 4 weeks since I got to see him and you? My goodness!!! He is so cute and I can tell that he is getting so big already. Timothy already talks to Eli about going hunting and has already asked him if he is ready to go hunting with him. It's so cute. Enjoy every moment!
Lori Medlin said…
Awww! He is such a cutie!! Do cherish every moment..... they grow up soooooo fast! I enjoy reading all of your updates on him!
Megalamode said…
I loved the part about his hair; that is SO sweet!! I think he will get used to baths soon. Rora loves her nightly bath now, but she hated them at first too.
Corny110 said…
Lay that boy on his tummy as often as you can.....It will stimulate strong back and neck muscles. He'll roll over out of frustration with the position....

Popular Posts