Where do I sign up for sleep?

Here's what happened last night:

Went to bed at 9 something - last time I looked at the clock it was 9:17.

Elijah woke me up at 10:30 - time to eat. Back to bed at 11:28.

Elijah woke me up at 12:22 - gas on his tummy? Maybe. It actually seemed like a game of "I want someone to hold my binky in while I sleep". I "held" him back to sleep, put him back in the bassinet only to have him immediately wake up again. This time I rocked him back to sleep, same song and dance. When I laid him down, he was awake. By this time it's 12:50 - he should eat at 1:30. So I think, it won't hurt for him to sleep with me for 40 minutes.

Wrong. He didn't wake me up until 3:30. No biggie. He ate and then we played "Fight Sleep" until nearly 5:00.

Finally got him to sleep. He shouldn't be awake again until 6:30.

Wrong. Again. 5:45 he was awake again. However, this time, I picked him up to have him fall back to sleep within seconds. Since we should have 45 more minutes of sleep before the next feeding, I put him back down in his bassinet.

At 6: 20, he's awake again. By this time, Chris is fed up too because he knows he has to get up in a few minutes and he's not slept much either. I know my baby is 3.5 weeks old and has no malicious intentions in mind. But I can't figure out what his deal is. He takes a couple naps a day and sleeps fine, but he certainly isn 't sleeping the whole day. Somehow the "Protective Mommy" instincts rise up in me and I brought him in the living room to let Daddy get some much needed sleep... and to feed Elijah. Who promptly fell back to sleep after 5 minutes of eating.

I have now been awake since 8:00 when I tried feeding Elijah again. He's wiped out so he didn't have a whole lot of interest in eating then either. Poor baby. He's still sleeping on my chest but will probably wake up in the next few minutes demanding breakfast and wanting to know why Mommy hasn't fed him.

Until Elijah develops better night-time sleeping habits, I'm thinking of moving into the guest bedroom. Since Chris is working and can't nap during the day, he needs his rest. I can't justify me sleeping in my own bed and waking Chris up multiple times through the night.

Ask me if it's worth it? Through blurry, sleep-deprived eyes, I will look you in the eyes and say: YES!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Our recliner and I became very good friends the first 2 months of Eli's life. He would only sleep on my chest and besides every 2 hours for feeding him was not fun. This allowed Timothy to sleep and we were all very happy that way. At four months old he has mastered sleeping through the night so it will get better. I don't think it hurts to let them lay with you or sleep on your chest the first couple of months. I don't see that it spoils them or it didn't Eli anyway. He is fine during the day to play and he can put himself to sleep without being held even though he prefers to be held. All those long sleepless nights are worth it though!
Lorrie said…
Thanks for stopping by mommy stays home. The pictures of your baby are beautiful. My little Jack turns 1 tomorrow!It is so hard to believe.
Lorrie said…
Pearl,
Comments like yours are what keep me motivated with my blog. That is the reason I started in the first place. The deals and freebies are not what is important.Stick with it and keep praying. I am sure that the Lords know your heart and he has a plan in mind. It may not be what you think it will be. He has a way of surprising us. I will keep you in my prayers. Check back for ideas on saving money as well as work at home job ideas.
Lori Medlin said…
Hang in there, it will get better!

Popular Posts