I'm a Mommy!

Elijah was born Sunday October 5th, 2008 at 10:29 p.m. He weighed 8 lbs 8 ozs and was 21" long. He's so precious and stole my heart before I ever saw him. I'll never forget laying on the C-section table hearing the nurse say "Look at that hair" and then hearing that tiny cry for the first time. That cry is what stole my heart. When the doctor held my little man up for me to see, his color wasn't that great (he looked purple/gray) his umbilical cord was still about 8" long, his long, black hair was matted with that "slimy" stuff, but he was the most beautiful sight I'd ever seen. Daddy and I were so happy and proud.

Being a mother certainly has it's challenges, but it is so rewarding at the same time. Breastfeeding has been the biggest challenge of all, but (again) has such a reward. I love the time I can spend with my son - it's something no one else can give him. However, at 1:00 in the morning, how nice it would be to let Daddy get up with him and feed him a bottle... but instead, I'm up with the little man. Usually about an hour at a time - feeding, change the diaper, and burping. (Some day I'll try pumping, but at this time, I'm his only food supply)

It's been tough for me to recover from the C-section. I want to be up and enjoying my time off, but each time I push myself to do something, I pay for it later. I have been to church twice and because our church nursery is upstairs, church is quite the adventure. Today we went to Joplin and had Elijah's photos taken at Sears... I'm sure I'll pay for this adventure tomorrow.

I'm glad I've had the chance to find out what motherhood is about. Although I keep reminding myself - I'm only two weeks into the job. What will tomorrow hold?

Comments

Anonymous said…
It is such hard work those first couple weeks after a c-section but take it easy and give yourself time. It took me about 2 weeks the first 2 times to rebound and with Eli it took 4 weeks. He is so adorable and I know you all are so proud! Nursing is hard work and I could have never imagined it would be that way. It took me almost a month or so to get nursing to where I felt like it was going okay. Enjoy every moment with him!

Popular Posts