Miracles Still Happen!

13 And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them.

14 But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.
15 Verily I say unto you, whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.
16 And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them.

~From Mark 10

Last Wednesday, I knew my back was out. It’s an old injury – one I recognize easily – especially since it had been bothering me since mid-August and had gradually become worse. I went to the chiropractor and was adjusted. He’s treated this injury for years and knows exactly how to make it “all better”.

However, in spite of the adjustment, Thursday morning I could barely get out of bed. Slowly but surely I was able to get up and decided to sit in the floor to have my morning devotions. (My couch is rather deep and can be difficult to get up from it – even when your back is feeling fine!) As soon as I got the on the floor, I knew I’d made a very bad mistake and attempted to get up. While getting up, I twisted wrong, heard my back make a sickening ‘pop’ and I about went down. I was in tears, thought I was going to pass out, but managed to get up. I climbed back in bed while trying to decide if I should get to work. (By the way, my chiropractor is closed on Thursdays)

Normally, I would simply call in to work. However, I am out of Paid Time Off. Being a salaried employee, I wasn’t sure what the protocol is when a salaried employee misses work without any PTO. Not knowing where I stood, I made myself get out of bed and with help, managed to get ready for work. I worked about half the day (and cleared things with my boss) before heading home.

As I lay there in pain, I was thinking of the testimonies you hear from foreign countries; limbs being restored, the dead brought back to life, etc. I realized they do not have a chiropractor or an emergency room only minutes away. Literally, their life depends on prayer and their faith in God. I was reminded of the teachings of Jesus, admonishing us to become like little children.

I called my mother-in-law and informed her I was at home; I asked her to bring Elijah home whenever she could. It was about naptime and Elijah is now old enough to cover the basics himself. I wasn’t too worried about it. When he showed up, he and I lay down to take a nap. He asked me about the monsters – which I assured him, again, do not exist and Jesus watches over us. Just as I was about to drift off, I hear his sweet little voice lifted in prayer, asking Jesus to keep us safe from the monsters. He finished his prayer by saying:

“Jesus, I ‘axs’ you to make Mommy bitter [better]. Make Mommy bitter. Amen.”

Of course, I tear-ed up and thanked him for his prayer. It was completely voluntary on his behalf and so sweet.

Late Thursday afternoon, a dear friend came to the house and gave my back a great massage. It really helped my muscles to relax and I felt better over all, in spite of the pain.

About 2:30 AM, I woke up and was in horrible pain. I made my way to the bathroom and was frustrated to tears by the pain and inability to move normally.

At 7:00 AM, a phone call woke me up. At first I didn’t move as I realized I was in NO PAIN! My first thought was the lack of pain was due to how I was laying. I decided I should get up. When I got up: NO PAIN! By now, I was thinking, “I’ve just had a miracle!” As I walked to the phone: NO PAIN! I could still feel a slight catch in my back, but NO PAIN! No muscle pain. No back pain. I was feeling so much better, I thought about going to work. However, I’d already worked out the arrangement with my boss and had been given instructions not to come in. Because of the little catch in my back, I decided to go ahead and see the chiropractor. When he adjusted me, he said “your back adjusted easier today than it has in a long time – I think it will hold this time.” I knew I was healed!

Later, I was reminded of my little boy’s prayer. And my Heavenly Father also reminded me of that child like faith I need in my life. Wow! I’m so humbled that God would use something as significant as my back pain, and the simple 12-word, faith-filled prayer of my little boy to teach me a lesson on faith. Such a contrast and so powerful!!

Thank you GOD!

“There’s power in prayer, power to spare!
All that you’ll ever need is waiting right there.
A few words, child’s faith, then good-bye despair!
Oh there’s power, so much power!
There’s power in prayer!”

Comments

Popular Posts