Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Back pain, sippy cups, and six month check up...

Wow... what a week. I'm not really sure I want to remember this week... but it's a big part of my life.

I missed work April 17th because Elijah wasn't feeling well. All day Friday and Saturday was spent rocking, holding... you know, comforting my precious baby. He mainly had the symptoms of a cold, with a light grade fever too. Through the night, I was up with him (literally) 6-8 times due to gas and belly troubles. I finally remembered I'd started giving him Chicken Vegetable dinner and Macaroni and Cheese dinner. Jarred baby food, of course, but apparently his tummy isn't ready for that much variety.

Sunday night, as I was getting up with him for the 3rd? 4th? time (who's counting by then anyways?) I pulled my back. I didn't realize how badly I was hurt as I didn't actually stand up. I told Chris I'd hurt my back - he brought Elijah to our bed thinking he'd settle down and sleep better. Wrong.

About 15 minutes later, Elijah was still crying. I asked Chris to help me out of bed and I'd sleep in the living room. When I stood up, I realized just how badly my back was hurt. I went into mild shock and could barely walk or stand. Poor Chris had crying Elijah in his arms and me - holding onto his arm crying too. He was so stressed. He just started praying to God to help all three of us through the night. I made it to the recliner with an ice pack and slept there the rest of the night. (Sort of)

To make a really long story short, Dr. Olson has decided there isn't any disk damage, but only nerve damage. That is good news. The bad news is there is little to do to relieve the pain. I'm to avoid all soft couches and recliners, sitting and bending. Chris took off part of Monday to help care for me and to take me to the doctor. Leta kept Elijah both Monday and Tuesday as I simply couldn't take care of him. I even had to go back to pumping as I couldn't hold Elijah to feed him. It was a rough week, but God is gracious.

Lets see... Tuesday, I was spared from a horrible auto accident. Thursday Chris was spared from a horrible auto accident. Wednesday we were invaded with flying termites. Chris is in the second week of his cold. Elijah and I both caught Chris' cold. See why I'm not sure I want to remember the past week?

Looking at the positive, I was able to keep Elijah Wednesday and Friday. Jennifer Richards came Thursday night and helped take care of Elijah and cleaned house for me. She was such a blessing to me. I enjoyed her help and company. I had tried working on Thursday but after 3 1/2 hours decided I wasn't up to the job. I could barely think between the back pain and the cold. Ugh. Everyone kept asking why I was there. I had wanted to spare some precious vacation time, but oh well. There is a reason for all this, right?

Elijah has really taken off with his sippy cup. He loves to chew on it as well as drink the apple juice (watered down!) I give him. He's having a difficult time sleeping without being rocked to sleep, but I know it shall pass after his cold is over. (I'm choosing to think positively here!) Tonight he and I went for a walk as he loves, loves, loves, being in the stroller. He actually fell asleep just as we arrived home. I changed and fed him about two mintues before he was out for the night. That was at 8:30... some one tell me why I'm not taking advantage of the situation by catching up on some of my own sleep?

I was able to take Elijah for his 6 month check up and shots. He now weighs 18 pounds and is 27" long! He had to get three shots and poor little guy didn't like that one bit! But he ended up laughing at the nurse, Candy, before it was all said and done. He just loves her and she loves him right back. Doc said the cold would have to run it's course...

Elijah is also picking up on the army crawling now. He prefers to stand... I'm beginning to wonder if he'll skip crawling and go straight to walking! Wow... that would be a handful!
Post a Comment